Thursday, August 15, 2013

Wickedness

Apprehension isn't a bad thing.  When it comes to Broadway musicals (and the perspectives of circles of Christianity), there can be a lot of hype and a lot of controversy.  Probably none has created more of both than Wicked. I love a good Broadway creation.  But this one was on the fringe for me because I didn't get the story yet, which left me on the outside of a lot of excited groups of friends whenever the topic came up. That said...it was kind of fun this week when I was able to enter the Boston Opera House with a clean slate having only heard two or three of the songs and knowing almost nothing else.  Here's my little take on it, just because writing is the best way for me to process it and a few friends have asked me what I thought.  

The Boston set/cast/theatrics were all amazing.  Super well done.   
The music was awesome.  'Nuff said.  
The philosophy...here's the part people squabble over.  Well, I'm just gonna say it.  I didn't have a problem with it.  It was spot on most of the time.  I've heard people say that it blurs the lines between good and evil, but I actually believe the story does an incredible job of revealing what is ACTUALLY good and ACTUALLY evil.  It gets under the surface and deals with Truth.  If you want to know a story that blurs the lines, read "A Series of Unfortunate Events." But don't go see Wicked, because it's really clear.    
One of the most fascinating aspects of it is that "perception is reality" concept.  I know, it can be dangerous. But this story does a great job, as I said.  There was real justice, and that was refreshing.  There are a lot of interesting comments about history and how we come to believe things (worthy of entire articles of their own).  There was probably some political undertones too.  

Bottom line: Loved it.  Would definitely go see it again if I could.  Will probably listen to the music and sing along loudly while pretending I know how to dance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment