Thursday, February 2, 2012

Early Morning Laughter

God has blessed me with a part-time job at a Christian daycare.  While I'm not very good at communicating with little kids, it's something I want to get better at.  So I practice.  Every day.  And some days I succeed.  Other days...well, it might have been better for me to have stayed home.  But every job is like that.  And I'm finding out that working at a daycare is more than a job.  It's a stewardship.  I don't shuffle papers around and file reports all day.  I take care of little people...and I feel the weight of that responsibility.  They are souls that need shepherding and they are looking to me for some of that.  

Mostly, I just work in the afternoons.  I take care of the snack room and then play with (and discipline) the kids for a few hours until their parents pick them up.  But on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I cover a 6:30 to 8 AM shift.  This one is interesting.  It's an hour that I don't normally use to converse with adults...much less children who require longer explanations since they assume nothing normal.  It's funny.  I don't think I'm a hyper-logical person.  But I guess I do function within the confines of an orderly universe.  Some kids just don't.  And their comments are a little past my ability to comprehend at 6:30AM.  Here is an example of one such conversation...

Child: Why are you wearing that necklace? (it has a charm on it in the shape of a bird)
Me: Because I like birds.
Child: No you don't like birds.  Do you like fast birds?
Me: Um...yes.
Child: Slow birds?
Me: Yes.
Child: Big birds?
Me: Yes.
Child: Little birds?
Me: Yes.
Child: If a bird is hurt, will you help it fly again?
Me: I don't know how to help birds.  I'm not a veterinarian.
Child: Yes, you do.  You just have to pick it up.  It will fly.  Do veterinarians wear hats?
Me: I guess sometimes they do.
Child: Then my mom is a veterinarian.
Me: I thought your mom was an the police force..?
Child: No.  My mom wears hats.  My mom was a cowgirl, tomorrow. Where did you get that pencil?
Me: My friend bought if for me.
Child: No she didn't.
Me: Yes she did.
Child: No.
Me: Her name is Zoe.  And she did buy me this pencil.
Child: You don't like Zoe.
Me: Yes, I do.
Child: What is her name?
Me: Her name is Zoe.  And she bought me this pencil!
Child: I had a bad dream last night.  So my mommy let me sleep in her room.
Me: Oh.  We're you scared?
Child: Yes. But then she made me leave.  She said I was talking too much.
Me: Do you think you talk too much?
Child: Yes!
Me: Why?
Child: I LIKE TALKING!
-----

On one occasion I asked a boy why he had just done something that he clearly knew was against the rules.  His response: "Because I'm awesome!"  
I had to restrain myself from laughing until I was by myself.  The truth is, that answer won't work in the real world.  But it is pretty hilarious.  

I'm told that being with children is healing.  I think it's true.  



1 comment: