Friday, December 9, 2011

Fall 2011



This was written for and dedicated to Lydia Scott.  Lydia was my roommate last semester when I was figuring out all my health issues.  We had to pack a lot of memories into just 2 1/2 months, and she made a huge impact on my life.  She was there for all the tears and pain, all the laughs, and all the late-night studying.  She helped me pack when I had to leave, and it was one of the hardest good-byes of my life.  




That semester, Friend,
Was a stroll through a storm.
Sometimes we splashed through puddles
And sunshine shot out from the darkness overhead
Bright.  like the microwave light at night
Luminescent
      (annoying)
almost funny
But mostly we were sloshing through slickness
We were slipping on the sidewalks
and a lot of times
I fell
but you grabbed my arm to save me.
We ran a 5K
stopped
inhaled
Rose again next day to run another-
in the storm still.
But oh, I wish that I had thought
to shake our flimsy jackets-
in a jar, collect the raindrops from those
weeks we spend together
Every day a different song
We have drunk the raindrops
tasted all our tears
and known that we were meant to
share this pain.
For this I bless you
As the raindrops fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment