Follow by Email

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Homesick

Inspired by Tennyson


Ulysses in me sought horizons,
Deeper seas, and higher cliffs,
Battles harder won found in
Adventure in the freer world.
And now I look down from the crag
Upon the battle and the world
The dust of lands I’ve traveled through,
Clings to my well-worn robe,
And covers all the prideful scars,
Gained seeking fortune all abroad.
Attained have I the world I sought,
I conquered what I came to claim,
But drowning triumph’s laughter-song,
A mourner’s wailing bellows loud,
Bemoaning every taken step
That farther took me from my home.
Journeys have their place in time
And youth may seek his pleasure there,
But ready have I made my feet
To find again my resting place.
Most searing is the pain I know
The agony of broken hopes
Retracing my destructive path
From ship-wrecked loves and severed friendships,
Lost en route to destiny,
To find them, I must hurry on,
For travels do not satisfy,
Exhilaration loses heat
And I must seek the warmth of home
Or die in frozen ecstasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment